We decided to take a trip to Cocoa Beach today, 09/15/13. The Weather Channel said rain for after 4pm, so we headed out by 11am for a few hours in the sun.
On the drive there, we noticed that it was getting pretty dark, and double checked the radar. Well it seems that the Weather Channel forgot to tell God to hold off on the rain and storms until after 4. We decided on to keep going and take the chance that the rain would go around us or clear up after an hour or so.
When we arrived at our favorite parking area, we asked the attendant about today’s flag. He said it just switched from Double Red (Dangerous Conditions) to Yellow (Rip Currents) and Purple was still on (Dangerous Marine Wild Life). So of course I asked which marine wild life were the problem today. I am still not over Shark Week Yet. He said it was Jellyfish, so off we went to park.
After parking, I had Becca and Katelyn go ask the lifeguard what the Dangerous Marine Wild Life was for sure. They returned with the same information. Jellyfish.
So with the weather terrible, watching straight down lightening over the water. No sun to be seen. Pouring rain all around us, and Jellyfish in the water our afternoon at the beach seemed to be taking a turn.
However, we decided to keep at it, and set up our stuff, and let the babies play in the sand and in the wave breaks. I was hyper paranoid about the jellyfish, and of course Courtney wanted to run into the water as far as she could get. Patrick had to keep picking her up, screaming, and drag her back closer to the shore line. We only stayed 30 minutes, once the rain started on us, and with the large jellies, it was not a day for the beach.
To give you an idea of the size of the Jellyfish out there, and why I was so concerned, check out the pics I got of one particular jelly.